In line with the Terakki vision and mission statements, the Foreign Languages Department’s purpose is to equip its students with:
- the communicative language skills and competence to reach their personal and professional goals in a globalized world,
- the academic skills to succeed in modern day higher education,
- the cognitive skills necessary to become curious and critical thinkers as well as independent Turkish and World citizens.
Through our education program, we strive to impart the value of language, culture, communication, and life-long learning.
As an accredited IB Primary Years Programme school, students in our Kindergarten learn English through inquiry in alignment with the themes they explore in their homeroom lessons.
Throughout their language-learning journey at Terakki, students follow our K-12 curriculum, which is based on the CEFR (The Common European Framework of References). The CEFR was established by the University of Cambridge and is recognized as the quality benchmark for language learning. Terakki FLD is also an accredited member of Eaquals (Evaluation and Accreditation of Quality Language Services), the leading language learning association.
The main objective of the English Programme in Kindergarten is for students to develop the confidence to interact in English and to be able to express their personal needs, socialize, receive information as well as express ideas.
The Teaching and Learning Environment
In Terakki kindergarten, become accustomed to the art of independent learning as they develop social and self-management skills in a cooperative learning environment.
Our students develop basic listening, speaking and early reading skills, as they interact with each other through cooperative play, games, songs, conversations, role play and story-telling. Technology also plays an important role in the classroom, aiding in the facilitation of learning, assessment and collaboration.
Authentic materials form the basis for experiences, where students view, listen to, read about, observe, reflect upon and explore themes, which are significant and relevant to them.
This enables us to create a learning environment that supports a variety of interests and learning styles to suit all learners’ needs.
Meeting Our Objectives
Students learn how to communicate confidently in English by:
- developing basic listening, speaking and reading skills,
- learning how to use technology to create products,
- acquiring language to communicate about a range of topics,
- using English to express personal needs, socialize, receive infomation and express ideas.
Students become language learners by:
- developing social, self-management, thinking and research skills,
- developing cognitively, socially and emotionally,
- exploring topics that are significant, relevant and engaging to their lives and building on prior experiences.
- planning learning engagements that appeal to the interests and learning styles of students,
- reflecting and self assessing as routine.