The Science classes aim to educate science literate generations who can transfer the acquired knowledge and skills to their daily lives, who care for the environment, follow the current scientific developments, inquire, research, and constantly renew themselves.
In accordance with the science curriculum in Grades 5-8 it is aimed to enable our students to:
- gain basic knowledge about astronomy, biology, physics, chemistry, earth and environmental sciences, and science and engineering practices;
- adopt skills related to the scientific process and the scientific research approach in the process of exploration of nature and understanding the relationship between human and environment and to find solutions to the problems encountered in these fields;
- recognize the interaction among the individual, environment, and society; develop awareness regarding the sustainable development in relation to society, economy, and natural resources;
- undertake responsibility for daily life problems and use knowledge, scientific process skills, and other life skills to solve these problems;
- develop awareness related to career in science and entrepreneurship skills related to science;
- recognize the importance of safety in scientific studies and develop awareness related to working in a safe environment;
- develop reasoning skills, scientific thinking habits, and decision-making skills by using socio-scientific topics;
- adopt universal moral values, national and cultural values, and scientific ethical principles.
In line with these purposes we apply the following:
- The Science curriculum is based on an inquiry-based learning approach with an interdisciplinary perspective.
- It is ensured that our students learn science concepts through effective laboratory activities at all grade-levels in order to learn more permanently through doing and living.
- In terms of the skills related to the scientific process activities that overlap with the skills used by the scientists as they work are planned such as observations, measurement, classification, data recording, setting a hypothesis, using data and model building, changing and controlling variables, and conducting experiments.
- Basic life skills such as analytical thinking, decision-making, creativity, entrepreneurship, communication, and teamwork are acquired through the science activities.
- In terms of of Engineering and Design Skills, strategies are developed to integrate science with mathematics, technology, and engineering, to bring our students up to the level of invention and innovation with an interdisciplinary point of view, to create products using the knowledge and skills they acquired, and to add value to these products.
- The participation of our students in national and international projects related to science is ensured.
- Supportive activities are carried out in order for our students to succeed in central examinations at all grade levels.
- Special preparatory work is carried out throughout the year for high school entrance exams.
- The products displaying our students’ creativity are exhibited at the school in relation to the subjects with special themes determined according to the units.
- Individual activities are carried out in order to make up for the the knowledge gaps of our students.