Our Turkish curriculum in Grades 5-8 is structured around knowledge, skills, and values in an holistic manner which would provide our students with the skills of listening/ following, speaking, reading, and writing they will be using throughout their lives and help them use these skills to develop themselves individually and socially, communicate effectively, and take on the habits of reading and writing with enthusiasm.
In the curriculum prepared on the basis of thematic approach, reading and writing standards help provide meaning through in-text, non-text and inter-text reading activities.
As the curriculum is being prepared, in addition to the curriculum of the Ministry of National Education, the standards that will contribute to the development of high level cognitive skills and develop students’ intellectual skills, literacy skills that have been reshaped according to the 21st century, and the developmental characteristics of the students are taken into consideration.
We aim to be help our students:
- Develop listening, following, speaking, reading, and writing skills;
- Use Turkish consciously, accurately, and diligently;
- Develop their world of emotions, thoughts, and dreams;
- Take on the habit of reading;
- Recognize the aesthetic and artistic values through the works of Turkish culture and art and global culture and art;
- Read texts of different genres (novels, short stories, drama, poetry, etc.);
- Read texts related to different fields (mathematics, science, social studies, visual arts, sports, music, and technology, etc.);
- Express their thoughts, feelings, or arguments in an effective and comprehensible manner in oral and written form;
- Develop the skills of researching, exploring, interpreting, inquiring, and constructing information in the mind;
- Develop the skills of accessing, editing, inquiring, using, and producing information using printed media and multimedia sources;
- Understand and critically evaluate what they read/ watch/ listen to;
- Improve visual reading and reasoning skills;
- Increase their awareness of the problems in their country and in the world and develop their skills to come up with solutions to these problems.
At Terakki Foundation Schools, many different activities are organized in order for our students to reach these goals related to the Turkish class. Some of our activities are as follows:
- Creating a “Personal Library”
- Activities to become quality readers and writers
- Interviews with authors/ book singing days
- Prepared and improvised speech activities
- General knowledge contests
- Short story/ poetry contests
- Writing exercises in different genres
- Philosophy activities with children
- Creative drama activities